🌳 – Mature woodland and nature trails
🐿️ – Red squirrel enclosure
🦉 – Bird of prey centre and flying displays
🐺 – Wolf exhibit
🌲 – Ancient forest and tree walk
🌺 – Beautiful gardens and picnic areas
🐾 – British wildlife exhibits
🚶♂️ – Walking paths and trails
🍽️ – Café and refreshments
🎟️ – Seasonal events and workshops
🧒 – Children’s play areas
🗺️ – Outdoor adventure and exploration
Nestled in the heart of the beautiful East Devon countryside, Wildwood Escot offers an unforgettable day out for nature enthusiasts, adventure-seekers, and families looking to create lasting memories. With its fascinating history, incredible wildlife, and thrilling outdoor adventures, this captivating attraction promises an enchanting experience for visitors of all ages. In this article, we’ll explore the most enticing aspects of Wildwood Escot, provide practical information to help you plan your visit, and share insider tips to ensure you make the most of your day.
A Rich History
The story of Wildwood Escot dates back to the 18th century when the Kennaway family, prominent figures in the East Devon community, established the Escot Estate. In 1985, the Acland family purchased the estate and transformed it into a world-class wildlife and outdoor adventure park. Today, the park is passionately managed by the Acland family, who are dedicated to conserving native British species and providing unforgettable experiences for visitors.
One of the most captivating aspects of Wildwood Escot is its incredible wildlife. Here, you can immerse yourself in the beauty of nature while observing some of the UK’s most cherished species, such as red squirrels, otters, and the magnificent European bison. The park is also home to the renowned Birds of Prey Centre, where you’ll be awe-struck by the grace and power of eagles, hawks, and owls as they soar through the sky during daily flying displays.
As you stroll through the ancient woodland, keep an eye out for the elusive wildcats and lynxes, expertly camouflaged within their natural habitats. Don’t forget to join one of the park’s knowledgeable guides for an engaging and informative walk, where you’ll learn fascinating facts about the resident animals and their conservation efforts.
If you’re in search of adrenaline-pumping fun, Wildwood Escot has you covered with its exhilarating outdoor activities. Test your courage on the terrific Traversing Walls, heart-stopping Drop-Slide and 40 Meter Zip Line.
Navigate your way through the park’s iconic Beech Hedge Maze, a living labyrinth stretching over an acre. Challenge your friends and family to a race through the maze and see who can reach the centre first. And if you’re visiting during the colder months, don’t miss the chance to go tobogganing down the park’s thrilling 100-meter snow slope.
Practical Information for Visitors
Wildwood Escot is open year-round, except for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. The park’s hours of operation are 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, with the last admission at 3:30 pm. Admission fees are £12.00 for adults, £10.00 for children aged 3-17, and free for children under 3. Discounts are available for seniors, students, and family groups.
When hunger strikes, head to the on-site Coach House Restaurant, which serves delicious, locally sourced meals in a charming setting. If you prefer to bring your own picnic, designated picnic areas are throughout the park.
For those looking to extend their stay, the nearby towns of Ottery St. Mary and Honiton offer a variety of accommodation. After a day of exploration, you’ll also find a wide selection of charming pubs and restaurants to satisfy your appetite.
Local accommodation we recommend
- Gnome Cottage (sleeps 4, no pets)
- Russet Cottage (sleeps 4, no pets)
- The Workshop (sleeps 2, pets allowed)
- Om Shanti (sleeps 2, pets allowed)
Insider Tips to Maximize Your Enjoyment:
- Plan ahead: Check the park’s website for updates on special events, such as wildlife talks, seasonal activities, and exclusive workshops. By planning your visit around these unique experiences, you can make your day at Wildwood Escot even more memorable.
- Arrive early: To make the most of your day, aim to arrive at the park when it opens. This allows you to beat the crowds and enjoy the serene beauty of the park in the morning hours.
- Dress appropriately: With so much outdoor exploration on offer, it’s essential to wear comfortable clothing and sturdy footwear. Don’t forget to pack waterproof gear and sunscreen, as the weather in the UK can be unpredictable.
- Attend the flying displays: The Birds of Prey Centre’s daily flying displays are a must-see attraction. Be sure to arrive at the designated area early to secure a prime viewing spot, and don’t forget your camera to capture these majestic creatures in action.
- Take advantage of the guided walks: Joining a guided walk with one of Wildwood Escot’s knowledgeable guides is an excellent way to learn more about the park’s fascinating wildlife and conservation efforts. The walks are included with your admission fee, so be sure to check the schedule upon arrival.
A visit to Wildwood Escot offers an enchanting experience for nature lovers, families, and adventure-seekers alike. With its rich history, breathtaking wildlife encounters, and adrenaline-pumping outdoor activities, this captivating attraction promises a day of unforgettable memories. By following our insider tips and practical information, you can ensure that your visit to Wildwood Escot is nothing short of extraordinary. So, pack your sense of adventure and embark on a journey into the heart of the beautiful East Devon countryside – a magical world of wonder awaits you at Wildwood Escot.
Check out other things to do in East Devon
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, which can provide compensation to us at no cost to you if you decide to purchase the product or service. This site is not intended to provide financial advice and is for entertainment only.