🎢 Thrilling rides
🎠 Classic family-friendly attractions
🌲 Lush woodland surroundings
💦 Water-based attractions and slides
🦖 Dinosaur-themed exhibits and attractions
🚂 Miniature train ride available
🎭 Live entertainment options
🎪 Indoor Play areas for children
🎨 Creative Zone
🍔 Food is available throughout the park
🛍️ Gift Shop
🌞 Seasonal Events
♿ Commitment to providing an inclusive experience for all guests
Nestled in the picturesque countryside of Devon, England, Woodlands Family Theme Park offers a perfect blend of adrenaline-pumping adventures, family-friendly activities, and serene natural beauty. As one of the largest family theme parks in the southwest, it promises a memorable day out for visitors of all ages. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the rich history of Woodlands, dive into its top attractions, and provide practical tips to ensure you make the most of your visit. So, buckle up and get ready for the ultimate family adventure!
A Brief History
Established in 1989, Woodlands Family Theme Park has come a long way from its humble beginnings as a small leisure park. Over the years, it has expanded its offerings and transformed into a major family destination, attracting over 200,000 visitors annually. At its core, Woodlands has always been dedicated to providing fun, educational, and interactive experiences for the entire family.
Key Features and Highlights
For adrenaline junkies, Woodlands offers an array of exciting rides that are sure to get your heart racing. The “Cyclone Canyon” water coaster combines the thrill of a roller coaster with the splash of a water ride, while the “Vertigo” drop tower leaves you breathless as you plummet from a height of 40 feet.
Younger visitors can enjoy gentler rides like the “Arctic Gliders” or the “Dino Dig” train ride, which takes them through a prehistoric-themed landscape filled with animatronic dinosaurs.
Insider Tip: To maximize your enjoyment, visit the most popular rides early in the day to avoid long queues during peak hours.
Indoor and Outdoor Play Areas
With over 90,000 square feet of indoor play areas, Woodlands guarantees endless fun even on rainy days. “Dino Trek,” an indoor soft play area, allows little explorers to clamber through dinosaur-themed tunnels and slides, while “Master Blaster” lets kids engage in epic foam ball battles.
Outdoors, the park offers several adventure playgrounds, such as “Ninja Arena” and “Woodlands Grove,” featuring climbing frames, rope bridges, and slides. Don’t forget to visit “Safari Adventure Golf” for a friendly round of mini-golf amidst life-sized African animals.
Woodlands is home to an impressive range of animals, from meerkats and alpacas to falcons and barn owls. The “Zoo-Farm” allows visitors to get up close with friendly farm animals, while the “Falconry Centre” showcases breathtaking displays of birds of prey in action.
Insider Tip: Check the daily schedule for feeding times and falconry shows to ensure you don’t miss these fascinating experiences.
Throughout the year, Woodlands hosts a variety of seasonal events to keep visitors entertained. From Easter egg hunts and Halloween spooktaculars to festive Christmas activities, there’s always something special happening at the park.
Hours of Operation: Woodlands Family Theme Park is open daily from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm during peak season (April to October) and weekends only during off-peak season (November to March).
Admission Fees: Day tickets range from £12.45 to £23.40, depending on the season and visitor’s age, with family and group discounts available. Annual memberships offer excellent value for frequent visitors.
Nearby Accommodations and Dining Options
- Woodlands Grove Caravan & Camping Park: Located within walking distance of the theme park, this award-winning site offers comfortable accommodation for campers, caravanners, and motorhome owners. With excellent facilities and beautiful surroundings, it’s the perfect base for your Woodlands adventure.
- Woodpecker Cafe: Situated inside the park, the Woodpecker Cafe offers a wide range of delicious hot and cold meals, snacks, and beverages. From classic fish and chips to vegetarian options, there’s something to satisfy every craving.
- Local Inns and B&Bs: For those who prefer a more traditional stay, the picturesque towns of Dartmouth and Totnes are just a short drive away and offer a variety of charming inns and bed and breakfasts to suit all budgets.
Local Accommodation We Recommend
- Dove Cottage (sleeps 2, no pets)
- Cheviots Cottage (3 bedrooms, pets allowed)
- The Cott Inn (sleeps 2, pets allowed)
- Waterfront House (sleeps 2, no pets)
- Ferryside (sleeps 4, no pets)
Making the Most of Your Visit
- Plan Ahead: Before you visit, explore the Woodlands website to familiarize yourself with the attractions and create a rough itinerary. This will help you make the most of your time at the park.
- Dress for the Weather: As the park offers both indoor and outdoor attractions, be prepared for unpredictable British weather by dressing in layers and bringing waterproof clothing.
- Capture the Memories: Don’t forget to bring a camera to capture the fun-filled moments and the stunning scenery at Woodlands.
- Stay Hydrated and Energized: Bring refillable water bottles and pack some snacks to keep your energy levels up throughout the day.
Woodlands Family Theme Park truly has something for everyone, making it the ideal destination for a fun-filled family day out. With its thrilling rides, engaging play areas, fascinating wildlife encounters, and seasonal events, it’s no wonder that Woodlands has become a beloved attraction in the southwest of England. Follow our tips and practical information to ensure a seamless and unforgettable visit. So, gather your loved ones and get ready to create lasting memories at Woodlands Family Theme Park!
Check out other things to do in South Devon
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, which can provide compensation to us at no cost to you if you decide to purchase the product or service. This site is not intended to provide financial advice and is for entertainment only.