The ultimate list of things to do in Barnstaple
- Tarka Trail Exploration: Discover the stunning 180-mile Tarka Trail in North Devon, either by cycling or walking. Enjoy breathtaking riverside views and unique wildlife along the route from Barnstaple to Instow Beach and beyond.
- Tarka Trail Cycle Hire: Don’t have a bike? Rent one from Tarka Trail Cycle Hire for a day of adventure cycling along the beautiful trail.
- Barnstaple Long Bridge: Capture the historic charm of Barnstaple Long Bridge, connecting the town to Tawstock, with picturesque views perfect for photo opportunities.
- Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon: Dive into the region’s history at this centrally located museum. A perfect indoor activity for those occasional rainy days.
- Broomhill Sculpture Gardens: Explore the largest sculpture garden in South West England, featuring over 200 contemporary sculptures set in a lush natural environment.
- Arlington Court & Carriage Museum: Uncover the Grade-II listed Arlington Court and its gorgeous gardens, as well as the National Trust Carriage Museum, home to horse-drawn vehicles from various eras.
- Barnstaple Castle: Immerse yourself in history by visiting the site of the once-magnificent Barnstaple Castle, where you can envision the events that took place.
- Pannier Markets: Stroll through Barnstaple’s historic indoor market for delicious food and unique souvenirs, a popular shopping destination in North Devon.
- RHS Garden Rosemoor: Delight in a day out at the enchanting RHS Garden Rosemoor, boasting exotic blooms and a charming garden tea room.
- Devonshire Cream Tea: Savor a traditional Devonshire cream tea at local cafes like Tea by the Taw, The Cream Tea Cafe, or Willows Tea Room for a vegan option.
- Beaches near Barnstaple: Bask in the sun at beautiful nearby beaches, including Westward Ho!, Woolacombe Beach, Putsborough Sands, Saunton Sands, and Croyde Bay.
- Family Attractions: Enjoy family-friendly attractions such as crazy golf and go-karts at Westward Ho!, colourful beach huts at Woolacombe Beach, or Funder Island‘s mini-golf and bumper cars.
- Albert Clock: Admire the historic Albert Clock, a grade II listed tower constructed in 1862, resembling a smaller version of London’s Big Ben.
- South West Coast Path Estuary Walk: Stroll along the scenic Taw Estuary on a three-mile walk, observing salt marshes, mudflats, and a variety of wildlife.
- Vineyard Tour: Take a tour of Venn Wines run by Tony and Alina on their 50 acre site
- Isley Marsh Nature Reserve: Witness ducks and wading birds at this salt marsh and mudflat habitat on the River Taw estuary, accessible via footpaths and the Tarka Trail.
- Exmoor National Park: Explore the breathtaking landscapes of Exmoor National Park, featuring coastal views, rolling hills, rivers, waterfalls, and a range of outdoor activities.
- Lundy Island Day Trip: Experience the rugged beauty and wildlife of Lundy Island, accessible by ferry from Ilfracombe, for an unforgettable day trip from Barnstaple.
Learn more about Barnstaple